Looking for something?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

5 Simple ways to save money on groceries without coupons {frugal living}


So you've read the title. You get what this post is supposed to be about right? But for some reason I feel the need to give you some sort of formal introduction so here goes:
This is a blog post about saving money on groceries, ya dig?
Alright, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'm going to go cook lunch... and by "cook lunch" I mean I'm going to go eat a dozen Oreos and not feel bad about.


▲▲ Check the grocery store flyers and plan your menu around the sales and special deals. I did this for the first time this week and my grocery bill was about $60 for the week (That's minus necessary non-food items like dish soap, laundry detergent). This weekend at Albertson's, canned goods were 2 for $.88, name brand breakfast cereal was $1.88, Tony Chachere's boxed Cajun just-add-meat-meal-starters were $.88 a box and some meats were buy one get TWO free. So yeah, check those flyers!!!


▲▲ Go shopping alone. Have you seen how giddy a kid can get when going down the cereal aisle? "I wan't that one! No, THAT one!! Coco Puffs!! NO!! Lucky Charms!!" And then what do you do? You give in just to quiet them down and now you've got two boxes of cereal, a box of pop tarts and some how a box of Twinkies, three bags of chips, a Seventeen magazine and all kinds of unnecessary money draining impulse buys in your cart.


▲▲ Buy off-brand.  I know you've heard it a million times that off-brand products are just as good as name brand and I'm here to confirm that that's mostly true. There are only a few off-brand food items I've come across that were kind of yucky. But if you're afraid to take the plunge into the world of low cost food, you should at least try your hand at purchasing off-brand non-food items like paper towels, sandwich bags, toilet paper and cleaning supplies.


▲▲ Say NO to junk food. Junk food is awesome and wonderfully tasty but incredibly unnecessary. Even though they're fun to snack on, when it comes down to it, you can't make a meal of ice cream, potato chips and chocolate covered pretzels. Well, I mean you can but you'll probably get sick... and eventually very very fat if you continue to eat like that. Instead, buy a special treat or two when they're on sale.
Every now and then, we like to browse the bakery section for items that have been reduced for quick sale. Bakeries will greatly reduce the price of items, like birthday cakes that were never picked up and pastries that are still good but no longer fresh enough to be on the shelves. We usually get our sweetums fix for just $.99 for the week.


▲▲ Stock up when it's on sale.  This is also great for reducing the frequency of grocery store trips. Like I mentioned on the first tip: this weekend just-add-meat box dinners were $.88 each. I bought 5 boxes and then my husband loved the deal so much, he went back and bought 6 more the next day. That's 11 boxes for $9.68. It's also good to stock up on meat when it's on sale and also anything that can be frozen like, fresh veggies and herbs.

 


17 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I SO agree! And number 4 is the most important! It's so much cheaper to buy noodles and ingredients for a sauce than to buy a readymade microwave noodle meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying off brand and stocking up on sale items are big ones for me. Also, shopping without my kids is important for me, not because they ask for extra things, but because I'm not in as big of a rush to be done and get out when I don't have my crazy kids running all over the store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with buying off brand items. It turns out I actually prefer the no frills cheerios aka tasty-o's lol. They are so much better and a heck of a lot cheaper. People think it's crazy to buy no frills until they try it and then...they're hooked! LOL Stopping by to say hello as a fellow IBN Blogger from DIYDesignMom.com. Great post!
    Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I'm going to pin it so that I can remember it for later. I try to do most of these things but sometimes I fall off the wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so much better going shopping alone, and on a full stomach! I do the primary grocery shop in our household, and although I do pick up some things that I wouldn't normally - it's only because I want to try out new recipes (ahem, when they're on sale of course). Sometimes we buy FLATS of cereal when it's on discount, so we do usually use that method too. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely agree! These are all great points and it is easier to save money than we sometimes make it. I don't always have time to coupon, but I do always have time to do these things you suggest. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always buy off brand! We usually only buy Kroger Brand!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips, these are good reminders as I go grocery shopping today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tips! I love shopping alone because I'm in and out in no time. When I go with my husband, I end up spending an additional 30+ minutes there and we usually end up buying more junk food than I want to. I am definitely a fan of stocking up on sales and buying things according to the weekly ads :)
    Linh
    http://abeautifulrawr.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for these tips. I'm trying hard to lower our grocery bill, but it is tough because I'm not coupon savvy and I've never really thought about it before. I'm going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing these tips, im always looking for tips to save money ! specially when i finally do cut coupons i leave them sitting on the kitchen counter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to stock up when items are on sale... I need to do that more often. I'm not great with doing coupons, so I will need to find other ideas (like you posted) to help me save moolah! www.GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great tips! I used to be a hard core couponer. Like I had a stockpile, couponer! And while I still have a hefty stash of cleaning and toiletry products I don't stockpile food anymore because the only stuff you can keep on hand for longer than a few days or weeks is processed stuff I don't want my family to eat anymore. But I have found GREAT savings by shopping the circulars and stocking up when prices are really great. I saved 50% last week just shopping the sales and clipping a couple internet coupons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hollie, from another Hollie another tip USE tech to save BIG. Download apps like Flipp and other great money saving apps to help you cut grocery costs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your tips and would add, don't go shopping when you are hungry. That's the one that always gets me.
    #MSAHA

    ReplyDelete
  16. For sure never take hungry teens to the grocery store. It winds up being a cart full of all sorts of food and no grocery money for the next two weeks. I've started getting the bags of cereal because it's a lot cheaper and tastes really good and I prefer to make cookies than buy them...although those Milano cookies are darn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all really great tips -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related Content